Examples of main legislation and regulations affecting
commercial port operations
- Conservation (Natural Habitats & c.) Regulations
- Convention on the prevention of pollution from
shipping 1973/1978 (MARPOL).
- Control of Pollution (Landed Ships Waste)
(Amendment) Regulations 1989.
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations
- Dangerous Substances in Harbour Areas Regulations
- Dangerous Vessels Act 1985.
- Docks and Harbour Act 1972.
- Environmental Protection Act 1990.
- Environmental Protection (Prescribed Processes
and Substances) Regulations 1991.
- Harbours Act 1964.
- Hazardous Waste Regulations 1998.
- Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions
at Sea 1972.
- Merchant Shipping Acts and Regulations.
- Merchant Shipping (International Safety Management
(ISM) Code) Regulations 1998.
- Merchant Shipping (Salvage and Pollution) Act
- Noise Act 1996.
- Noise at Work Regulations 1989.
- Transport and Works Act 1992.
- Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
- United Nations Convention on the Law of the